One of five in the Nation and one of thirty-five in the World

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts” author unknown

Sunday, July 12, 2020

Dr. Tom Gilligan of Hartland - 2007


Dr. Tom Gilligan of Hartland - WVMA President 2007




Tom Gilligan, DVM




  Photo: Courtesy of Dr. Tom Gilligan




Personal information
        I was born and raised in Needham, Massachusetts, a suburb of Boston. I had a traditional upbringing and was the youngest of four children. Both of my parents were veterans of WWII. My father was an officer in the Army and stationed in Persia. My mother was a Navy nurse at in the neurosurgery department at Bethesda Naval Hospital in Maryland. After serving our country my father did a brief stint as a Boston police officer and then completed his career working for Ford Motor Company. My mother stayed at home to raise us and then resumed her nursing career when we were grown. I don’t think I really knew about veterinary medicine until I was a teenager. An older sibling suffered from significant allergies and as a family we did not get a pet until she moved out of the house to pursue here secondary education. I love my sister dearly, but it was certainly fun getting a dog of my own. At a young age we took a trip as a family to visit relatives in Canada. It was the first time I had seen cattle up close and I was in awe of their beauty. The central theme of veterinary medicine did not crystallize until my eldest
cousin; Larry Gaudreau (PU SMV ’75) invited me to spend part of a summer at his practice in southern Indiana. It was an experience that changed my life. Up to that point I had been a very poor student and lacked focus or direction. At my parents request (unbeknown to me) Larry had a conversation with me that basically said if you want to be a veterinarian you better focus on school. I did. That is not to say I did not have fun along the way.
        I vividly recall my brother asking my parents for permission to get a motorcycle. They were definitely not supportive of the idea. Knowing their feelings, I waited until I moved to Indiana to attend school before I purchased my first motorcycle. I spent the summer of my freshman year riding my cycle, working as a ranch hand and then traveled back to Massachusetts to work as a camp counselor with emotionally troubled children. It was then back to Purdue and the rigors of school. The following summer, I had the adventure of hitchhiking from Colorado to Boston. Although not the safest mode of transportation it was one that lent itself to excitement. Another year of study, a letter of acceptance and the joy of knowing I was to be a veterinarian. This then meant four more years of school and more summer adventures. Perhaps stories for another time. I matriculated Purdue 1984.
       After an externship in South Dakota, Dr. Roger Cooper ( ISU ’70), invited me back as an associate. The emphasis of the practice was beef, equine and small animal. I found the help of my large animal assistant (Jim Hicks) invaluable. While we know a great deal upon graduation, there is so much more that we can be taught. I am thankful to both these individuals for helping me through my first year of practice. Working the calves in the fall can be a quite chilly proposition. When you need to break the ice on the bucket that holds your surgical equipment and put vaccine syringes by a heater to keep them from freezing you know it is cold. It was a nice place to practice but I needed something warmer, so I moved to Wisconsin. (Really, Wisconsin is warmer than South Dakota).  Mark Lindborg, DVM (Purdue ’82) invited me to join his mixed animal practice in Hartford, Wisconsin. Our days were busy: fertility exams, mastitis, metritis, lameness, LDA’s, etc. I thought it was great to wear a pager until it went off all too frequently. Then came the frequent milk fevers and the worst was the inevitable prolapsed uterus (one even frozen to the ground). It was a great experience but it was time for a change. To this day though, I so admire all the large animal practitioners who continue the tradition of treating all creatures great and small. I switched to a companion animal focus and in a fairly short period of time, the practice I was in taught me to rely on myself. Not all veterinarians are mentors. Some are led seriously astray. After leaving that practice I went out on my own. I purchased a small satellite practice in North Lake, Wisconsin and it has been my home since. I have a wonderful associate, Jessica Oliver, and very caring staff members led by Laura Oldenhoff. I feel very fortunate about the path veterinary medicine has guided me along.
        I have two sons of whom I am very proud. Colin is a senior at the United States Military Academy in West Point (USMA 11). Upon graduation, he will begin his training as a helicopter pilot for the United States Army. Sean will graduate high school in 2015 and then wishes to attend school at the United Sates Air Force Academy in Colorado. They both make me proud on a daily basis. I am confident that they will both do great things in their lifetimes.

Involvement in the WVMA
       My first experience with the WVMA was as a member of the Grievance Committee. Dr. Randy Schuett (WVMA President 2003) can be very persuasive. I learned through that committee that medical records were one of the most important things one could rely on to get you into or out of hot water. Be thorough to be safe. I was chair of the committee in 2004 and 2005 and it was in this committee that I met one of my best friends in veterinary medicine, Dr. Doug Kratt (WI 98). This committee was my introduction to the WVMA and I am sincerely pleased that I accepted the position.

Involvement on the Executive Board
     I was asked to attend an executive board meeting as a fill in for the District 1 representative while serving as chairman of the Grievance Committee. I found the executive board to be welcoming and focused. I was honored that two years later, I was approached to run for president elect. I served on the executive board from 2005-2008.

Annual Meeting/Convention
       Throughout my presidency, one of my points of focus was the students at the veterinary school. I joined them in class on a few occasions; brought coffee to them during finals week; attended some pathology rounds, and had the good fortune to attend a couple of social functions. My Presidential Award went to the student body of the UW School of Veterinary Medicine. Unfortunately, the date of the annual convention coincided with the date of a milestone event of my son, Colin, enrolled at USMA at West Point. If I was going to be true to my beliefs of supporting students then I would need to be true to my own son. I attended my son’s event and missed the annual convention.
The award winners:

Veterinarian of the Year: Dr. Kevin Nelson
Presidents Award: UW SVM Student Body
 Meritorious Service Award: Dr. Guy Jordaski & Dr. Tom Meyers
Friend of Veterinary Medicine: Leslie Grendahl
Corporate Partnership Award: Marshfield Clinic Laboratories
Meritorious Service Award: Dr. Guy Jordaski & Dr. Tom Meyers
Friend of Veterinary Medicine: Leslie Grendahl
Corporate Partnership Award: Marshfield Clinic Laboratories

Challenges and difficulties throughout presidency
      This is an interesting section, a lot of changes and challenges were encountered both professionally and personally.

Legislatively: We Lost, We Won, We Lost.

Lost: We tried to repeal the requirement for pesticide permits for veterinary personnel. We had plenty of support but it never reached the floor for a vote.

Won: Veterinary technicians can now give rabies vaccinations.
Lost: I was flown to Washington DC to represent the AVMA on an animal fighting bill. We presented our case to the Congressional Judiciary Chair and unfortunately the bill never made it out of his committee (the following year it passed unanimously).

Regulatory: Informed consent is debated throughout the state. Language that is acceptable to the general populous of the state’s veterinarians and the Board of Veterinary Examining Board is discussed and debated.

Personally: Presidents messages include articles on:
Renewable Energy
Volunteerism – Thanksgiving Giving
Mental Illness / Mental Health
Over Committed
Youth Hockey Coach
High School Lacrosse Coach
Practice Owner
Building New Veterinary Facility
WVMA President

Final Thoughts
It was a pleasure and an honor to serve as one of the WVMA presidents. I would encourage my colleagues to seek out similar positions of leadership within our profession, for the rewards are great.






No comments:

Post a Comment